How can I fit? This question has come up several times in our discussions. Much of my teaching experience has been with "struggling" students. I am certified in both Regular and Special Education and have had varied experience in both areas with all sorts of students. But, I seem to fall into positions which lead me away from the "over-achievers" and toward the "under-achievers." I have found myself questioning my ability to gain a position overseas. International programs have a reputation for rigorous and not exactly differentiated instruction. However, much to my relief, I've found an answer to my question and now know why I will fit.
Today I had a wonderful cyber conversation with Christina, a friend overseas. She is leaving her position this year. I asked her about her position, she was so generous to give me lots of information.
I have primarily worked with struggling students--It has been my experience that kids struggle for a variety of reasons. Nothing makes me prouder that to help an otherwise unsuccessful student find success. My concern has been how can I use this talent at a school where everyone is successful. Today my fears were diminished. I am so pleased Christina was willing to explain how individual differences are accommodated. Now more than ever do I want to be part of an international school.
The opportunity to work with eager, excited children in a contemporary setting would be glorious. Helping different learners to experience the opportunities an International School can offer, working with teachers who also want those different learners to find success that would be the ultimate teaching experience.
My years teaching have afforded me the opportunity to work with all age groups. Starting with Pre-School while still in college progressing up to Elementary/Middle school age for several years both in Texas and Louisiana, finally working with 9th grade students the last two years. I feel so fortunate to have such a wide range of experience which I feel that has equipped me to work with any child at any grade.
Ukraine here we come!
Kim
Monday, December 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment